The world of fashion is mourning one it’s greatest stars today, February 19, 2019, as news broke of the death of Karl Lagerfeld. The German designer has passed away at the age of 85, but his impact on the industry will continue to be felt for ten times that. After emigrating to Paris from Germany as a young teen, Lagerfeld first became a design assistant for Pierre Balmain before going on to work for Chloe and Fendi in the 1960s. However, it is through his work with Chanel that the designer is most well known. His long career with iconic fashion house began in 1983, and his designs breathed new life into the label that was still suffering from the death of Coco Chanel ten years before. As Chanel’s creative director, Karl Lagerfeld secured his place in fashion history.
Let's a take a look at some of the most memorable events in the story of Karl Lagerfeld:
- In 1960 Lagerfeld left Balmain to join Jean Patou where his designs challenged preconceptions of couture, producing collections that including mini-skirts and plunging necklines.
- In 1977 he adopted his now famous signature look of dark glasses and ponytail.
- In 1983, Lagerfeld joined the most famous fashion house - Chanel - as creative director, an appointment seen as integral to reviving the ailing brand. In 1984, he presented his first couture collection for the brand.
- In 1987, he posed for Playboy.
- In 2001, he was so desperate to wear one of the skinny-fit Dior suits by designer Hedi Sliman, he lost six stone.
- In 2004, Lagerfeld teamed up with high street chain H&M. The entire first collection largely sold out within 24 hours.
- In 2011, he wrote and directed the movie, The Tale of a Fairy.
- In 2014, the autumn/winter 2014 Chanel collection was staged in a supermarket-themed show, complete with Chanel food and household products.
- also in 2014, Lagerfeld staged a feminist protest on the catwalk of the spring/summer 2015 show in Paris.
Some of the most famous and beautiful women in the world have worn clothes by Karl Lagerfeld. His list of clients and brand ambassadors would top an A-list event. Let’s take a look at ten of his most famous and memorable muses.
1. Kendall Jenner
Graduating from reality TV kid to fully fledged fashion model, Kendall Jenner was a favorite of Lagerfeld’s in recent years. Not only has she walked for him for Chanel on many occasions, but she was also given the privilege of closing the Paris-Salzburg Metiers d’Art Collection. A high honor!